My spouse filed taxes married jointly w/ me as a dependent wo my signature. it was suppose to be married fseparately bc I had income.?

Is that going to affect me

Other answer:


Your spouse could not have filed jointly with you as a dependent. A "dependent" is someone who is claimed on a tax return of a person who (1) is not the person being claimed, and (2) either married to someone else or is not filing jointly. A person cannot both be a dependent and be married to someone who is filing jointly. If your spouse filed "jointly", that means that it was with you, but NOT as a dependent.


Even if you had income, it is usually best to file jointly. It should not be filed separately just because you had income. However, if it is filed jointly, then your income would have to be listed on the one, joint tax return. To file it with only your spouse's income, it would have to be married filing separately.


The decision to file jointly is irrevocable. He cannot simply say that he made a mistake and wants to change his mind. Realistically, to be able to file separately now, you would have to report him for forging your signature and maybe have him arrested. If you are planning on getting a divorce anyway, it might be worth it, but probably not. If you want the marriage to continue, then live with the situation and just have the joint return amended to include your income.

amy lynn:
You are NEVER a dependent of your spouse. If he claimed married, filing joint, then you were included as a spouse, not as a dependent. (It results in the same deductions, but the terms are different.)

When a married couple files a joint return, that joint return MUST include ALL income from BOTH spouses. If he filed his tax return as married, filing joint and didn't include your income, then HE must file an AMENDED tax return.

Now, when he files the amended tax return, you have two choices, add your income to his tax return as married, filing joint and reporting all your income together. This is almost always the BEST choice.

Or, when he amends his return, he can change his filing status to married, filing separate and then you can file your own return as married, filing separate. This almsot always results in more taxes being given to the government and less coming back to you.

When spouses both have income, married, filling joint is still usually the best option, but alll income from both spouses need to be reported on that one tax return.

It can affect you if your income was not reported. If he failed to include your income when he filled out the forms, then he does need to ammend the tax return and either of the options I listed are fine to fix the problem.

If he included your income, then nothing is wrong and you don't need to do anything else.

I am surprised his tax return has not been rejected, first of all as a spouse you are NOT a dependent, and even tho he filed incorrectly your signature was not required on that return when he claimed you as a dependent
he needs to amend that return and include your income, you as a co taxpayer etc
normally it is not beneficial to file married separately, some benefits are disallowed when you choose that method
You can file as married filing jointly, with or without the spouse having income.

If you are separated or had divorced before he signed your name, there may be an issue. Only you can sign your name.

First of all, a spouse can't be shown as a dependent of the oher spouse. Secondly, no, having income yourself doesn'r mean you should file separaely, probably not. Bu if your spouse didn't include your income, you need to amend.
Are you living together in the same household. Did your spouse have income and support you? If so, your spouse did the right thing.
Max Hoopla:
What do you want us to do about it?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *